News:

Stay Home...
and use this forum!

Main Menu

Feature Request: Better Games Search

Started by sweetcornwhiskey, December 05, 2021, 03:59:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sweetcornwhiskey

I really like Gamcore and I've been using it for a while to find good games, but it can be a bit annoying to go through trying to find cool new games to play because the current search functionality is kinda outdated and unclear how it works. I'd really like it if Gamcore could implement an updated search algorithm with a couple changes to improve user experience:

1. More objective metrics for search: the current metrics are "best", "popular", "top rated", and "top favorites", and as far as I can tell, the only one of those that aligns with some recognizably objective metric is "top favorites," which I assume aligns with the games that have the most users favoriting the game. Perhaps the other ones have some objective metrics already, but it's not clear to me from the interface which games, for example, have the highest percentage of positive ratings, the highest average star ratings, which ones have the most plays, etc. I think the interface could really be improved by either implementing more objective metrics that haven't already been implemented or by clarifying which metrics the current categories use to sort games.

2. More granularity in search: currently, you can only filter games that you see into either being games uploaded in the last week or into the entire Gamcore collection, or by looking at games that have a particular tag. I would really like it if Gamcore implemented functionality to have more categories for when games were released, as well as more granularity in other areas. For example, it would be nice to be able to search for games that were exclusively HTML5/Ren'Py/etc., or for users to create a whitelist/blacklist of preferred tags, and only see games that align with those characteristics.

I understand that this is probably something that might be developmentally time-intensive or expensive, but I think that it would significantly improve user experience if it was easier to find games that align with what we are interested in. Thanks for all the work y'all do!

Gamcore

Hi, thank you for your meaningful post, I will try to answer:

1. We will describe those metrics in the very nearest furure.

2. Have you tried to use Advanced Search operators, which are described here:
https://gamcore.com/search
Please give me more real life example, so I can provide precise answers, for example if you want to find games, which are Ren'Py and Hentai, type in search:
tag:renpy tag:hentai

Feel free to express your ideas here, currently we are investing a lot of time in website development and therefore in better user experience.

sweetcornwhiskey

Thanks for your response! I've never seen that advanced search feature before, so this is very useful, thanks! Maybe it would be a good idea to add some option to see advanced search features below the search tab on the main screen so that those options are more visible to users.

Regarding searching for titles with specific tags for game format, a lot of the tags on games do not match the formats that the games actually have. For example, I just clicked the HTML tag to search, and on the first page, there were 9 RPG Maker games, 19 HTML games, and 2 Unity games. Definitely better than nothing, but it seems like there's nothing preventing devs from just putting every filetype tag on their games so that they show up better when searching for a specific type of game.